The Abbey Of Megemont – Clunisian Site



Isolated in a secluded valley and saved from the ruin, the choir and the transept of the abbey testify from what was one of the most important Cistercian abbeys in the region.

The Cistercian abbey of Mègemont was founded in 1206 by Dauphin, Count of Auvergne, for nuns. She joined the Cistercian abbey of Montpeyroux.
In 1612, the abbesses left Mègemont to switch with the Cistercian abbey of La Bénisson-Dieu in the Loire. From then on, it was religious men who occupied Mègemont. During the Revolution (1793) the abbey was sold as a national property and became a farm building (sheepfold and hay barn). It will remain so until the purchase of its church by the municipality of Chassagne in 1992.
Are visible: the transept and choir of the 13th century church, the wing of the 18th century monastery buildings, the ruins of the nave and part of the surrounding wall.
Member of the European Charter of Cistercian Abbeys.

  • Themes: religious heritage, abbey


  • Roman
  • Classified


Free entry for children < 12 years, Job-seeker, the students.


  • Concert
  • Temporary exhibition
  • History

Services / Equipment

  • Pets allowed
  • Picnic area
  • Public WC
  • Exhibition space
  • Parking
  • Pets welcome
  • Shop
  • Guided tours

Spoken languages

Customer type

  • Groups