The Church Notre Dame De Mailhat

Lamontgie

Description

This is a beautiful church famous for the quality and diversity of its sculptures on the porch, the apse and the choir.

The church, built mainly in arkose, was built in the last third of the 12th century; preceded by a sanctuary given to the Cluny Abbey of Sauxillanges in the 11th century, it was fortified and raised in the late Middle Ages, and enlarged with side chapels in the 15th century. Classified as a Historical Monument in 1859, ND de Mailhat has a single nave plan and a half-timbered apse. An abundant decoration is found outside with anthropomorphic and zoomorphic heads on capitals and modillions. A man holding a purse, a fish, a woman nursing snakes frame the south door, adorned with Romanesque paintings and Gothic decoration. Inside, the motifs of the mermaid, eagles and griffins remind us of the influence of Antiquity during this Roman period. Dating from the 15th century, the bases of the south chapel, whose execution is remarkable, represent the angels who carry the instruments of passion.

  • Themes: religious heritage, church

Categories

  • Roman
  • Cluny place
  • Classified (CMN)

Prices

Free of charge.

Activities

  • Concert
  • Temporary exhibition

Services / Equipment

  • Picnic area
  • Public WC
  • Parking
  • Educational visits
  • Themed tour
  • Tour free of charge
  • Guided tours

Opening

From 01/04 to 31/10
Opening hours daily between 9 AM and 5.30 PM.

From 01/11 to 31/03
Opening hours daily between 8 AM and 8 PM.

Spoken languages

Customer type

  • Groups

Adapted tourism

  • Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance